What do I need to to be abe to buld Gnome apps from source?

I've got a "testing" machine that I'm setting up for work, and I'm probably
going to need to make some mods to one of the apps I plan on using "gspy".

It's a Gnome app, and I'm having troubel building it.  here's how it's
failing:

checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by
gnome-libs install

Thats when I run autogen.sh.

What do I need to do to be able to build Gnome apps on this machine?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin