Re: Simple little basic config questions

Haines Brown wrote:
Haines Brown(brownh@hartford-hwp.com) is reported to have said:

prompt and setterm) can go in either place. User has a .bashrc and
.bash_profile (there's no .profile), and the configuration must go
into the latter. It does not work for me if put into .bashrc.

Do you have

source .bashrc

As the last line of your .bash_profile? That might help.

No, the default (debian3.0r.1) is to comment that in .bash_profile:

  # if [ -f ~/.bashrc]; then
  #   source ~./bashrc
  # fi

I don't see why this is commented, for it seems to disable
~/.bashrc. Is that so? If so, why it it disabled by default?

Sometimes ~/.bashrc is read on login; sometimes ~/.bash_profile is read. I never can remember when one is and the other isn't. Leaving these lines doesn't "disable ~/.bashrc"; it just prevents the reading of that file when ~/.bash_profile is read. I just uncomment the three lines above and let Debian sort it out.

Note, just in case you didn't know this.  After making changes to
these files it is not necessary to exit and relogin. Just enter
. .bash_profile

I don't understand. "Enter" what into ~/.bash_profile? What does your
elipsis here refer to?

It's not an ellipsis. The first dot is short-hand for "source", roughly meaning "run the .bash_profile 'script'". You could alternatively enter this same command as "source .bash_profile".

--
Kent