Re: Simple little basic config questions

Haines Brown(brownh@hartford-hwp.com) is reported to have said:
> As for setting up basic bash configuration, a little experimentation
> shows that this is what I've got (debian 3.0r1).
>
> Root has both .bashrc and .profile, and the configuations (custom bash
> prompt and setterm) can go in either place. User has a .bashrc and
> .bash_profile (there's no .profile), and the configuration must go
> into the latter. It does not work for me if put into .bashrc.

Do you have

source .bashrc

As the last line of your .bash_profile? That might help.

Note, just in case you didn't know this.  After making changes to
these files it is not necessary to exit and relogin. Just enter
. .bash_profile

As long as you have the above in .bash_profile, any changes to either
file will take effect.

Oh, welcome to Debian.  You won't be sorry you switched from RH!!

Wayne
--
Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.