Re: 2.6.0-test8 PCI (?) troubles

Hi and thanks for all the help!

On Sunday 26 October 2003 13:18, Andre Kalus wrote:
> ISA is sometimes needed for PCMCIA support but missing support should
> not stop boot process.

OK.

> > The next thing it says after this in my 2.4.22 dmesg is PCI:
> > Disabling Via external APIC routing I have disabled APIC too, some
> > time ago.
>
> Try to enable apic you can disable it by passing "noapic" on the boot
> line.

OK. Actually, reenabling APIC made it stop on the previous spot I had,
(... BIOS Revision...)

> Did you try a kernel version different to test8? - sometimes a kernel
> version does not work with everybody's hardware - for me test5 did
> only work without ACPI.

Yeah, I just tried test9 too. I downloaded a vanilla test8 yesterday,
patched it with test9 today. That stopped even earlier... It seems
something was wrong with the framebuffers. It goes down to where the
Matrox fb stuff is loaded, then I get back the first few lines where
the kernel is loaded, and then everything halts.

However, I built these two kernels very differently. The test8-ruby I've
built with make-kpkg, and starting out with Andreas' config for his
kernel. With the test9, I've used make bzImage and friends, and I
started out with my own 2.4.22 kernel config.

> I attached my dmesg output so you can have a look if you can find
> anything strange before your system hangs.

OK, thanks!

> Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
> Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.
> Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
> POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
> NET: Registered protocol family 16
> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfdb51, last bus=1

OK, so this is where it stops with ACPI and APIC enabled. But I can't
see anything suspecious...

> PCI: Using configuration type 1
> mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)
> ACPI: Subsystem revision 20030918
> ACPI: Interpreter enabled
> ACPI: Using PIC for interrupt routing
> ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (00:00)
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0._PRT]
> ACPI: Power Resource [URP1] (off)
> ACPI: Embedded Controller [EC0] (gpe 5)
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.AGP_._PRT]
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 *10 11 12 14 15)
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 7 10 *11 12 14 15)
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs 3 10 11)
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs 5 6 7)
> Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 (c) Adam Belay
> PnPBIOS: Scanning system for PnP BIOS support...
> PnPBIOS: Found PnP BIOS installation structure at 0xc00f82c0
> PnPBIOS: PnP BIOS version 1.0, entry 0xf0000:0x729b, dseg 0xf0000
> PnPBIOS: Unknown tag '0x82', length '25'.
> PnPBIOS: 12 nodes reported by PnP BIOS; 12 recorded by driver
> SCSI subsystem initialized
> Linux Kernel Card Services
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> PCI: Using IRQ router default [1106/3074] at 0000:00:11.0

Is this an ISA bridge on your system...? This resembles where I stop
with ACPI and APIC disabled, but there is a lot less happening between
the two in my case. I didn't write it down, but I would guess it looks
more like

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0d40, last bus=1
PCI: Using configuration type 1
mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
PCI: Using IRQ router VIA [1106/0686] at 00:04.0

I just discovered something interesting with the backstreet ruby 2.4
kernel I've been struggling with too. I had a problem that e2fsck
complained about a bad superblock, and now it turns out this was
connected to that I booted the kernel with mount=devfs (or was it the
other way around).

I'm obviously getting real ruby on 2.6 up and running (since I have
Matrox DH card), so I'm always happy for more help! Meanwhile, I'll
explore the backstreet-ruby with 2.4 some more to see if I can get that
running. If I get that running first, I think I'll stick with it.

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo