Re: Mozilla 1.3 about:plugins->crash SOLVED

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:47:59PM -0500, Hans Koch wrote:
> Hi
>
> I read you about:plugins->crash posting
>
> I had exacly the same problem.
> strace helped to find the solution:
>
> There were 4 old libraries/files in /usr/lib/mozilla/components
> libnsgif.so
> libnsjpg.so
> libnsmng.so
> libnspng.so
> mozcomps.xpt
>
> (Three may be more or less in your case.)
>
> After removing them, the about:plugins worked again.
>
> BTW, it might be useful to post the solution
> on linux.debian.user
> I tried, but got frustrated with google ...
>
> - Hans Koch

Thanks, Hans, I finally got a chance to try this and it worked.  I was
seeing the same problem with mozilla 1.4.

I used the test Hans recommended in another message, using dpkg -S to
see what files in /usr/lib/mozilla/components weren't owned by any
package.  I got this list:
dpkg: *compreg.dat* not found.
dpkg: *libnsgif.so* not found.
dpkg: *libnsjpg.so* not found.
dpkg: *libnsmng.so* not found.
dpkg: *libnspng.so* not found.
dpkg: *xpti.dat* not found.

Mozilla won't start with without compreg.dat.
xpti.dat seems harmless.

I was initially fooled by the others, since I moved them to a
subdirectory old/, and the mozilla crashed.  But when I moved them out
of the path, about | plugins worked.

By experimentation, it seems anyone of the .so files will make mozilla
crash (I tried the first two).  Probably they were compiled with older
versions of gcc.  I guess their functionality has moved elsewhere:
they all seem to be about showing pictures.

I'll file a bug with mozilla, if there isn't one already, since it
looks as if the uninstall procedure might have missed these.

Thanks again, Hans.