Re: Problem Maintaining Subscription

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 at 15:30 GMT, Conrad Newton penned:

> I would not mind having some advice, either.  I wrote to the ISP, but
> they addressed me as an idiot, explaining the meaning of "bounced
> mail", when instead I wanted to know why they were getting an error
> message of the form:

I've had a lot of tech support (from banks to web sites to whatever) do
this.  I think they get so many ... naive questions that when they see
certain words, they automatically reply with a boilerplate.  My
suggestion would be to reply to that email and say no, I understand what
a bounce is, and that's not what I'm after ... and explain the rest of
your concern.  That, or actually call rather than email.  Calling is
nice because it's easier to escalate.  OTOH, there's no paper trail.

Tech support folks are generally overworked and underpaid --
unfortunately, that results in a lot of "maybe he doesn't really know
what he's talking about -- I'll send him this stuff and maybe he'll go
away."  And apparently it works, since you seem to imply that you
accepted their answer as "no, we won't do that."

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please