Re: Problem Maintaining Subscription

>From Thomas H. George on Saturday, 2003-10-25 at 10:28:57 -0500:
> Twice in the past few weeks my subscription to  the debian-user list has
> been unsubscribed though I never sent or wanted to send an unsubscribe
> message.

I have had the same problem, although not all my mailing lists
were affected, only debian-devel and debian-openoffice.

> The problem may relate to the deluge of MS mail bombs.  Originally my
> subscription was to my second mailbox which was georgeacct.  When the
> deluge of MS mail bombs started and my debian-user subscription was
> dropped I contacted my IPS and asked that georgeacct be closed and a new
> mailbox xyz be opened (not very imaginative but I was in a hurry).  I
> then subscribed to the debian-user list from the new mailbox.  This did
> not stop the deluge of MS mail bombs so I installed mailfilter, got a
> good mailfilterrc for MS mail bombs from a posting by Pigeon on the
> debian-user list and started using it to filter my mailboxes.  This
> works beautifully but again my subscription to the debian-user list has
> been dropped.

Is your filter at the ISP?  I suspect the problem is there.
I fetch mail automatically every 10 minutes from the ISP,
but either that is not fast enough or the ISP is simply
not able to keep up.  You can filter as much as you like
at home, and it will not help the ISP.

> I will resubscribe for the xyz mailbox this morning.  If you know of any
> other preventative measures I should taked, please let me know.

I would not mind having some advice, either.  I wrote to the ISP,
but they addressed me as an idiot, explaining the meaning of
"bounced mail", when instead I wanted to know why they were
getting an error message of the form:

> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host mail.broadpark.no[217.13.4.2] said:
> 550
>     <conrad.newton@broadpark.no>: User unknown in local recipient table

Conrad