Re: Gender in language (was Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: <snip>])

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 12:12, David Palmer. wrote:
> Most of our modern knowledge of the Celts
> comes from the Roman campaigners' reports, in particular Julius Caesar
> who fought a protracted campaign against the Celts in Britain, as the
> Celts had an oral history not written.

There are Welsh records going back a very long way before Caesar, and
giving the native view of his campaign.  See
http://www.ldolphin.org/cooper/ch4.html
     "Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul
      diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine
      eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart
      all the days of thy life; but teach them to thy sons,
      and to thy sons' sons..."        Deuteronomy 4:9