Re: Gender in language (was Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: <snip>])

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 19:58, Cam Ellison wrote:
> * Erik Steffl (steffl@bigfoot.com) wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > - Why English doesn't have gender, since it's predecessor, German,
> > >   does have gender?
> >
> >    looks like a lot of unneccessary stuff was removed from english
> > language (last century or two?), as far as I can tell it's because it's
> > used as a non-native language for pragmatic purposes (i.e. as long as
> > the message gets accross it's all good:-)
> >
> Strictly speaking, English did not descend from German, but they have
> a common ancestry in a version that was spoken during the time the
> Romans were in power.  Angles, Jutes, and Saxons invaded England over
> a period of time and pushed the Celtic peoples into Wales and
> Scotland, and Anglo-Saxon (which was a synthetic language like Latin)
> became dominant.  Then William the Conqueror arrived in 1066 (and all
> that) and the language of the upper class was then Norman French.

"The earliest period begins with the migration of certain Germanic
tribes from the continent to Britain in the fifth century A. D"

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"You can either have software quality or you can have pointer
arithmetic, but you cannot have both at the same time."
Bertrand Meyer