Re: remote backup from Windows PCs

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 19:40, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 06:41:48PM -0400, kmark+debian@pipeline.com wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > So I'd prefer that backups are initiated on the remote PCs, and that
> > > even the file set to backup was controlled on the remote PCs. All the
> > > Linux server is doing then is streaming the data to tape.
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend some software to achieve this?
>
> > I thought of one thing immediately, there is some package that reads email
> > messgages to it (the server) and using some authentication scheme then
> > processes the email message as a 'sys admin command'. Thus you have the
> > remote pcs' email 'back me up' and the email goes to the debian server and
> > it says ok.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I was really hoping there might be a well
> integrated client/server solution where the Windows client would look
> like a standard backup solution with GUI etc but back up to a remote server.

It shouldn't be hard to write something like that, with the server
daemon on the Linux box, written in Perl or Python, and the client
written in Python/Tk (which could then run on Windows, Linux, BSD,
and probably even Mac OS9 & X).

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant