Re: remote backup from Windows PCs

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2003-10-24 23:22]:
> On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 19:40, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> > > I thought of one thing immediately, there is some package that reads email
> > > messgages to it (the server) and using some authentication scheme then
> > > processes the email message as a 'sys admin command'. Thus you have the
> > > remote pcs' email 'back me up' and the email goes to the debian server and
> > > it says ok.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. I was really hoping there might be a well
> > integrated client/server solution where the Windows client would look
> > like a standard backup solution with GUI etc but back up to a remote server.
>
> It shouldn't be hard to write something like that, with the server
> daemon on the Linux box, written in Perl or Python, and the client
> written in Python/Tk (which could then run on Windows, Linux, BSD,
> and probably even Mac OS9 & X).

There is a relatively simple example of such a program detailed in
Chapter 7 'E-Mail as a System Console' in the book 'Multitool Linux
Practical Uses for Open Source Software' by Michael Schwarz, Jeremy
Anderson, Peter Curtis and Steven Murphy.  It is published by Addison
Wesley and has ISBN - 0-201-73420-6

Lou