Re: suspend to ram, or hibernate [plus: monitor suspend howto]

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 23:44, LeVA wrote:
> Rob Weir írta:
> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 06:31:40PM +0200, LeVA said
> >
> >>Hello!
> >>
> >>Is it possible to suspend my system to ram, or to hibernate it? Could
> >>someone tell/show me a howto about this.
> >

> > You can use "swsusp" (google for it, it's a kernel patch), but I don't
> > think it's ready for serious use yet.  Can't you just use ACPI or APM on
> > hardware that supports it?

Actually swsusp for 2.4 is just about ready for serious use yet (at list
with 2.4.22). There are quite a few people that use it on a regular
basis. It does support suspend to disk only though, no suspend to ram.

> Thanks! I tried that swsusp stuff, but when I run the script, it writes
> "going to hibernate", and unloading everything, and stopping daemons,
> and killing programs, and umounting drives :), but it doesn't hibernate
> the system, instead reloads everything, and says came back from
> hibernate. Anyway it's doc's says the 2.4.x kernels doesn't fully
> support suspend to ram, and suspend to disk. But (think again) I don't
> need these anyway.

Sounds like you apply the kernel patch. It does require you to recompile
the kernel (no built kernels at the moment. I don't mind maintaining
debian patches and kernel-images if there is enough interest. Will need
some guidance through the maintainers bureaucracy though).

> I need a program (or programs), which I can use to control the acpi from
> command-line. For example turning the monitor to suspend state (ie.:
> ./acpi_ctrl -vga , or something like that :). I read that I can control
> the systems sleep state by writing numbers to /proc/acpi/sleep. This is
> another story, and it isn't fully working :)

Afaik suspend to ram and acpi/bios suspend to disk is only supported
under 2.6 kernels (/proc/acpi/sleep is deprecated by now for the /sys
interface). I don't think its very stable yet. swsusp is starting its
migration to 2.6 though. It mostly needs reworking the scheduler code.

> I can control my hard-drives suspend time with hdparm -S, and my cpu's
> throttling state with /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling. The only
> thing I need is a way to manually send my monitor to suspend state. Is
> this possible with some program?

Sounds like what you are looking for is dpms. For console there is the
console blanking option somewhere under the console tools package files.
I don't know how you control the different states in such a case though.
Try google for dpms.
For X you can set it in XF86Config-4 iirc or in the screen saver (thats
the options you are seeing in the kde control center).

> And another question for clearing my mind:
> What is the difference between the monitors standby, suspend, and off
> mode (I can see these in my kde control center). From the outside those
> are all the same. All of the above states, are switching my monitor off,
> but not completely (I can see the led shining on my monitor, but in
> another color).

These are the different sleep states of your monitor. Not all monitors
support all states. I belive very few can completely turn off the
monitor, and you would have to turn it back on manually in such a case
anyway.
They are supposed to be different levels of power down. standby and
suspend leave the monitor in different levels of low power state (I
think standby turns of the electron gun and suspend also the magnets or
something like that).

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il