Re: suspend to ram, or hibernate [plus: monitor suspend howto]

Rob Weir írta:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 06:31:40PM +0200, LeVA said

Hello!

Is it possible to suspend my system to ram, or to hibernate it? Could someone tell/show me a howto about this.

You can use "swsusp" (google for it, it's a kernel patch), but I don't
think it's ready for serious use yet.  Can't you just use ACPI or APM on
hardware that supports it?

Thanks! I tried that swsusp stuff, but when I run the script, it writes "going to hibernate", and unloading everything, and stopping daemons, and killing programs, and umounting drives :), but it doesn't hibernate the system, instead reloads everything, and says came back from hibernate. Anyway it's doc's says the 2.4.x kernels doesn't fully support suspend to ram, and suspend to disk. But (think again) I don't need these anyway. I need a program (or programs), which I can use to control the acpi from command-line. For example turning the monitor to suspend state (ie.: ./acpi_ctrl -vga , or something like that :). I read that I can control the systems sleep state by writing numbers to /proc/acpi/sleep. This is another story, and it isn't fully working :) I can control my hard-drives suspend time with hdparm -S, and my cpu's throttling state with /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling. The only thing I need is a way to manually send my monitor to suspend state. Is this possible with some program?
And another question for clearing my mind:
What is the difference between the monitors standby, suspend, and off mode (I can see these in my kde control center). From the outside those are all the same. All of the above states, are switching my monitor off, but not completely (I can see the led shining on my monitor, but in another color).

Ok, hope that someone can help, and answer these qustions.

Thanks!

Daniel

--
LeVA