Re: What would happen to Challenge/Response if ...

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:41:44AM -0600, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 at 03:42 GMT, Paul E Condon penned:
> > I've been looking at a lot of options for dealing with Swen and the
> > next Sobig, soon to arrive. In the discussions here, I learned that
> > some people use tmda as a part of their spam defense, and looking into
> > it I soon learned that
> >
> > TMDA == C/R
> >

> As one of the tmda users, I have to pipe up. TMDA doesn't have to be
> used as a C/R system.  I use it for some filtering (the rules are very
> easy to read and write) and whitelisting.  My default action is set to
> HOLD, which means that if none of my filters apply, the message sits in
> a pending queue till I feel like dealing with it.  No C/R here.
>
> TMDA did start out as a C/R system, but that's not all it can do.
>
> --
> monique
> Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please
> don't email me directly.  I will most likely see your post before I read
> your mail, anyway.

Yes. My formula is an oversimplification of the real world. My excuse
is that a visit to the TMDA web page gives the impression that the
formula is valid, and might reasonably be expected to suck innocent
readers into using something that is flawed. TMDA, the program, is
*not* utterly without redeeming social value, but C/R is flawed in
many ways, some social, some technical.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com