Re: new to debian

On (23/10/03 04:50), Scott Hansen wrote:
> Thanks for everyones response to my post!

> have the graphical side of things working.  Here is what goes on when I
> use startx (although I am unsure if I am doing this correctly):
> scorpion:~# startx
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/scerverrc: usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or directory
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/scerverrc: exec:  /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot
> execute: No such file or directory
>
> giving up.
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> This is what gets displayed on the screen.  Did the install fail to load
> packages that I need?
> On a side note:  I too have to use Windoze at work (and at home right
> now)  I really want this up and running.  I had SuSE running for two
> weeks but could never get it connected to the Internet, even via dialup,
> but Debian uses my cable modem during the install to check for updates
> so I know I am good to go once I can get a gui up (I am so used to a
> gui! : ( )

Do you have either aptitude or dselect installed, to verify do:

dpkg -l | grep dselect (or aptitude)

Both of these handle package installation and dependencies.  Aptitude is
newer and some find dselect difficult at first but try one and stick to
it initially.  I've used dselect hitherto but am starting to use
aptitude. If you need a gui there are many options and everyone
has their prejudices and preferences.

FWIW I use KDE 3 which isn't in woody but requires an addition to your
"sources" list.  So initially I suggest you go for the woody versions of
Gnome or KDE to get you started. You can upgrade/change later.

To install KDE choose kdm and kdebase and dselect/aptitude will tell you
you need other packages.  Using these package management tools you can
install and remove packages until you are happy with your setup.
Nothing is irreversible.

Good Luck

Clive

--