Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]

Nori Heikkinen wrote:
on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:53:34AM -0700, Erik Steffl insinuated:

Nori Heikkinen wrote:

the two are apples and oranges, my friend, especially when you're
dealing with something that no one can have an objective point of
view on, given different native languages.

 ??? you can measure how much information you need to
 understand/parse each of the languages... that doesn't have
 anything to do with language being native or not...

my point was that depending on your native language, different aspects
will seem natural to you, whereas others will appear radically
different and therefore harder.  depending on how different one's
native language is from the target language, certain people can find a
language very difficult to learn, whereas others with closely related
languages could master it much faster than others.  for instance, it
is easier for speakers of english to master a romance language than
something much more remotely related, like mandarin.

1 - the thread is about why english is used as base for programming languages so it does not matter that much how easy it is for particular person with particular background to learn (I was claiming that subset of english is easier for computers to process (than lot of other languages) since grammar is very simple)

2 - e.g. russian is fairly close to slovak so it was fairly easy for me to learn yet I wouldn't say it's easy/simple to learn. it's not hard for me to recognize that english is much simpler than russian even though english is very different from slovak. you can measure the information needed to define/understand grammar/language

	erik