Re: scsi emulation: atapi reset irq timeout and other nasties...

Garrett P. McLean wrote:

hi,

i've been trying to get scsi emulation working. i've compiled and installed my own custom kernel the debian way and i enabled the following as modules: ide-cd, scsi_mod, sr_mod, sg, and ide-scsi. i've also added a file called ide-cd to /etc/modutils with the following in it:

options ide-cd ignore='hdc hdd'

and then i ran update-modules. also added append="hdc=ide-scsi" to /etc/lilo.conf and ran lilo and rebooted. however, when i reboot i don't get the nice ide-scsi setup i expect, instead i get a bunch of ugly messages to the tune of the following:

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 In quiry 00 00 00 ff 00 hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 In quiry 00 00 00 ff 00 SCSI host 0 abort (pid 1) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 1) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

and so on...

can anyone tell me why this is happening. i read somewhere that it could be the computer overheating, so i turned it off for a few hours and tried again, still no luck...

thanks to anyone who can solve this, it's driving me nuts!

-Garrett

I have the same problem with debian kernel 2.4.22. I need scsi for a cd burner and using a small flash key, reverting to kernel 2.4.21 did the trick. MOtherboard is and Intel 875P w/ P4 3.0Ghz. Which kernel are you running?