Re: ide-scsi problem on woody

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 05:02:10PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Joachim Fahnenmueller wrote:
>
> > Hi Rolf,
> >
> > maybe load ide-scsi *before* sr_mod ?
>
> if a module needed to be loaded in the right order,
> it'd complain about missing symbols not yet defined
> when its dependency modules needed to be loaded first

Not necessarily. My idea is: If you have an SCSI controller working,
sr_mod will happily look for devices connected to that controller, but
it may fail to find the IDE drive if ide-scsi is not yet loaded.
On my system I have set
alias scsi-hostadapter ide-scsi ,
but that makes sense only because I have no other SCSI.

At least it may be worth trying...

> manually loading um might show you any error messages
> the system might be hiding
>
> rmmod "everything"
> 	than manually load um up

Good idea. Not only look for error messages but also for _success_
messages, at some point it should say that it found the device.

--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

# Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
# your ~/.signature to help me spread!