Re: How to find out where memory leaks to

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:03:22PM +0200, Thomas De Groote said
> Hey,
>
> I am running a quite standard Debian woody setup with the kernel 2.4.18
> that comes from the packages. The 2 HDs are in a RAID0, formatted as
> ext3, with quota installed. Problem is that for some reason after about
> 1 week the 1 Gb of RAM is completely filled and when looking in top or
> ps I can't discover any process taking a lot of RAM.
>
> Does anyone have an idea as to how to find what is taking my memory
> away? I could add another Gb, but I guess that will be taken in soon as
> well...
>
> Sorry if this is a newbie-question answered elsewhere, I did a search
> but couldn't find anything.

Can you send us the output of "free -m"?  Mine looks like this:

Mem:           250        238         11          0          0         53
-/+ buffers/cache:        185         65
Swap:          899        453        446

I only have 11MB free, but that's because my kernel has 53MB stashed
away as disk cache.  You want to look at the second row (-/+
buffers/cache:) to get a useful value for your free memory.  When an app
needs more memory, the kernel will flush the cache and a program can use
the memory.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:  Mantis JUWTF LLNL UK MD4 brigand NSA pink noise Lon Horiuchi