Re: what exactly does "init_module: No such device" mean?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:09:22PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> When trying to load a driver reports "init_module: No such device",
> what exactly does that mean?
>
> Does it mean that the module couldn't find any instances of the type
> of hardware device that the module handles, using whatever degree of
> scanning or probing that that particular module performs?

Yes.

> (Does "device" means devices at the hardware level with PCI bus
> locations and Vendor and Device IDS,

Yes.

> or does it means devices at
> the level of ide0, lo0, etc., listed /proc/devices?)

No, those won't be there without the driver for them working.

> If a driver reports "init_module: No such device", does that
> necessarily mean that the driver doesn't recognize your hardware,

With plug-and-play type devices it seems to.

> or do you sometimes have to tell the driver an I/O address or IRQ
> number so it can find your hardware?

This is generally only a problem for ISA devices and possibly devices
on the motherboard whose address is assigned by the BIOS setup.
Generally the drivers seem pretty sorted at figuring it out for
themselves though.

Disclaimer: this is "how it looks like it's working to me" rather than
being based on a formal study of what's behind that error message.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons