Re: No X configuration offered during install of Woody (30r1)

Olav Lavell writes:
> Why would one ever install Exim in a _base_ system? To name just one.

Exim isn't part of the Debian base.  Don't confuse 'base' with 'standard'.

> I am missing your point here - have no problems finding sources or
> compiling them.

> My remark was just to clarify that there are scenarios where keeping a
> system up to date is not an easy task performed automatically.

If you download the Debian source package, apply your changes to it, and
then install it with dpkg it goes into the packaging system database.  This
keeps the packaging system happy so that, for example, packages that depend
on said package won't complain when you try to install them.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org