Re: No X configuration offered during install of Woody (30r1)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> This is one of the things I love about debian -- it doesn't make any
> assumptions about what you want on your machine.  It installs the very
> basics necessary to run the OS and update your packages, and then you
> can choose what to add to your setup.

Denbian still installs too much stuff I did not ask for. It's not a
"minimal" distribution :)

> For a lot of machines, X is not at all fundamental =)
>
> I'll readily admit, though, that installing debian from scratch is not
> my favorite activity.  It can be quite confusing to a new user, and even
> after having installed debian on several systems, it takes me a while to
> get the hang of it again.

I did my first Debian install "right" after like 25 times. The install
program has no more secrets for me :)

> The good news, though, is that once you've
> found your way through the initial install, you never have to see it
> again, because it's so *easy* to upgrade.

Yeah, unless you start installing stuff that did not came packaged from
Debian.

For instance, I like having a conservative Woody base system with bleeding
edge custom compiled apache and php on it.