Re: allowing a "normal" user to work efficiently

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:34:52AM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> If the machine is isolated behind a firewall, then you probably have
> nothing to worry about.  I think the concern is that cdrecord lets you
> remotely access the burning device, which could be trouble on a file
> server as you point out.

The fear with suid programs is that you might be able to get root access
through a clever hack. Programs have to be very well designed to give up
root priviliges or else this is trivial.

For example imagine you make "cat" suid...

Then someone can do:
cat /bin/rm /bin/cat
cat -rf /

Of course the idea with actual suid programs is that they are designed
so as not to allow this kind of thing, but still software isn't always
perfect (bug, etc.).

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>