Re: allowing a "normal" user to work efficiently

>> 2. In case of cd writing, you can set the SUID of cdrecord and related
>> programs or you can use sudo. Only problem with sudo is that the user
>> has to type sudo in front of the commands.
>>

> dpkg-reconfigure cdrecord, and then set it suid.  Add users to the cdrom
> group if you want them to be able to burn cds.  The only thing is that
> some people think setting cdrecord suid is a risk.

I have never understood why setting cdrecord suid would be a security
issue. I mean, i can understand that on a file server for instance one
would prefer the sudo method, but on a normal desktop, why wouldn't you
use suid?
I've always wondered.

Benedict