Re: Trouble with Lilo, Grub, Redhat, and Debian

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 10:47:46PM -0700, John Schofield wrote:

> I'm working on a Pentium III system with two IDE hard drives.
>
> I had Red Hat 8 installed on /dev/hda2, with /boot mounted on
> /dev/hda1.  Booting via grub.
>
> I installed Debian Woody on /dev/hdb2.  /dev/hdb3 is swap, and
> /dev/hdb1 is a partition on which I'm building a Linux From Scratch
> system.
>
> Debian boots no problem after Lilo installed, however, Red Hat no
> longer boots.

Please post your /etc/lilo.conf.

Once you boot to Debian, you can mount /dev/hda1 and determine what
the Red Hat filenames are.

Alternative: install grub from Debian. Then use the update-grub script to
help build a /boot/grub/menu.lst that includes all your bootable
kernels.

> I'm not at all sure what I'm doing with Lilo.  My problem is compounded
> by the fact that I didn't record the grub settings before Lilo wiped
> them, and can't seem to mount the /boot partition on /dev/hda1 to find
> out the correct path for the image and initrd.  (I'm running the latest
> kernel as installed by Red Hat.)
>
> Any ideas as to what I need to look at to figure out what I need to to
> next?  (Anybody know what the image and initrd lines SHOULD say for my
> version of RedHat?)
>
> Any ideas why I can't get boot to mount?  I enter "mount /dev/hda1
> /mnt/temp2" and get "Invalid MFT record 0 Mount: Wrongs FS type, bad
> option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file
> systems."

Are you root when you try this?

Assuming ext2 files system:

# mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt