Re: Newbie on troubles...

[Please wrap your lines!  It makes it much easier to read, and thus more
likely that you'll get a response.  Anywhere between 70 and 80 is
acceptable; 72 seems to be a nice value.]

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 10:40:32AM -0700, Mauricio Argote said
> Hello there,
>
> I installed Debian on my pc and have some troubles making it work.
> Does anybody can give me a clue about how to proceed?
>
> Here are the problems:
>
> 1) NETWORK CARD NOT RECOGNIZED.  I am connected to a LAN with a static
> IP address. I am using a "SMC EZ PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network
> Card, Series SMC1255TX/LP".  When installing Debian, the network card
> wasn't recognized.  I found that there are Linux drivers downloadables
> from SMC website, but I don't know if they would work on Debian, and I
> have no idea how I could install them.  Somebody told me that this
> card uses tulip (?). Why then it wasn't recognized?

Debian doesn't do any hardware detection, by default.  If you want that,
install the "discover" package.  I'm fairly sure you do need the tulip
module, however, so just "modprobe tulip" or load it via "modconf".  It
is possible it's already loaded, so run "dmesg" and look for the word
"tulip" or "eth0".  Once you've done that, you need to setup
/etc/network/interfaces manually.  You'll need a section like this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address <ip_address_of_the_card>
        gateway <your_network_gateway>

And then run "/etc/init.d/network restart".  This assumes that you have
a static address, for DHCP have a look at Osamu's Debian Quick Reference
Guide at http://qref.sf.net/.

> 2) DISPLAY TOO LARGE ON STARTX.  I have a SAMTRON 16V 17" (1280x1024
> but using 1152x864 under Windows). The depth of 24 bits/pixel didn't
> work on it, so I got Debian working in 16 bit/pixel.  The display
> looked too big when starting Debian (the login box covers almost all
> the screen!). Then, I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to modify
> the resolution, but anything changed after rebooting.

You mean "nothing changed"?  You need to reconfigure X to increase your
resolution.  Are you sure your video card can handle the high resolution
you want?  It will need to have at least 1280 * 1024 * 3 ~= 4MB of video
RAM for you to get 1280x1024 at 24-bit colour.

Simple, simple guide to automatically setting up X:

# apt-get install discover mdetect read-edid
# dpkg -P --force-depends xserver-xfree86 xfree86-common
# apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xfree86-common

> 3) PC STALLED WHEN LOGGING OUT.  When I log out from my session (kde
> environment), the pc gets stalled.  The only way to make it work is
> reseting it (which it sends the shutdown signal).

Where does it stall?  What's the last message you see?  Is it "powering
down"?

> Was something not correctly installed?

If the problem is that your machine isn't powering down, then it could
be that you haven't loaded the "apm" module.  "modprobe apm" should do
the trick.

> Should I install Debian again

No.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:        Glock kibo MD2 Crypto AG NATO Pope NORAD assassination