Re: nvidia drivers & kernel headers

Scott C. Linnenbringer wrote:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:19:34 -0700 (PDT), John Yurcik <jyyc73@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Hi, I have installed kernel headers (athlon 990mhz
running debian stable) Kernel-headers 2.4.18-1-k7 are
in the /include/ directory. Attempting to load the Nvidia drivers from the shell
command, 'Sh NVIDIA-Linux-X86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run' I get
the message: "Unable to find the kernel header files
for the currently running kernel. If you know the
correct kernel header files are installed, you may
specify the kernel include path with the
'--kernel-include-path' commandline option.
I don't know how to do that i.e., the commandline
option and I don't know if that is what I need to do
to load the driver. Any suggestions? Thanks

This is happening because the NVIDIA installer is looking for your
kernel headers in /usr/src/linux, which is often just a symlink to your
kernel's source. However, the headers package won't automatically make
the symlink.

So, just do the following:

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-1-k7 /usr/src/linux

... and you should be set.

I heard that for modules the suggested way is to put a symlink from the
module directory to the source directory: something like this (I can't
check it now sorry)

cd /lib/modules/2.4.18-1-k7
mkdir build
cd build
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include include

this worked for my installation of nvidia drivers (as I said I can't
check that the link is exactly as I wrote).

Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Tel +39 055 4796741, Fax +39 055 4796730           |
|  Florence - Italy         (GNU/Linux User # 158233) |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.lorenzobettini.it/purple    Cover Band  |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |