Re: nvidia drivers & kernel headers

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:19:34 -0700 (PDT), John Yurcik <jyyc73@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi, I have installed kernel headers (athlon 990mhz
> running debian stable) Kernel-headers 2.4.18-1-k7 are
> in the /include/ directory.
> Attempting to load the Nvidia drivers from the shell
> command, 'Sh NVIDIA-Linux-X86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run' I get
> the message: "Unable to find the kernel header files
> for the currently running kernel. If you know the
> correct kernel header files are installed, you may
> specify the kernel include path with the
> '--kernel-include-path' commandline option.
> I don't know how to do that i.e., the commandline
> option and I don't know if that is what I need to do
> to load the driver. Any suggestions? Thanks

This is happening because the NVIDIA installer is looking for your
kernel headers in /usr/src/linux, which is often just a symlink to your
kernel's source. However, the headers package won't automatically make
the symlink.

So, just do the following:

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-1-k7 /usr/src/linux

... and you should be set.

--
scott c. linnenbringer    |  sl@panix.com
http://www.panix.com/~sl  | sl@moslug.org