Re: using equivs to replace debian packages

"John L. Fjellstad" <john-debian@fjellstad.org> writes:

> I use equivs to replace debian packages, for lots of reasons (need a newer
> version of a package, or in case of mta, I like to have better control of how
> the qmail package is installed).
> The problem is that the already installed debian package is not removed when I
> try to install my debian package, and the system complains about conflicts.
> For instance, I create my qmail package using the mta control file in
> /usr/share/doc/equivs/examples.  When I try to install the new qmail package,
> it won't uninstall exim and install my qmail package.  If I uninstall exim
> first, then lots of other stuff gets uninstalled (mailx etc).  Right now, I
> do a force install on my qmail package, and then uninstall exim, which works,
> but isn't an optimal way to do it.
> What entries am I missing in the deb control file?
> I try adding "Replaces" keyword, but it didn't have any effect.

The "problems" are the

  Replaces: mail-transport-agent
  Provides: mail-transport-agent
  Conflicts: mail-transport-agent

fields in exim's control file.  The intentional effect of these package
relationships is to force the removal of the existing
mail-transport-agent package before installing another one.

Really, the problem is that one can't, as far as I know, tell dpkg to
simultaneously remove a package and install another one.  aptitude,
apt-get, and probably other can do this, but they only work with package

So, you could create a local archive (see dpkg-scanpackages(8)) with the
equivs package, add it to your sources.list, then do "apt-get update;
apt-get install qmail exim-".

I think a far easier approach is to just force the removal of exim
without removing packages that depend on it and then install your qmail
equivs package.

I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis.