Re: Upgrading to a new release

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:14:48 -0400
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 11:02:12AM -0700, Paul Burkett wrote:
> > Basically, I have Debian Woody (3.0) CDs and since I
> > didn't want to burn a new CD for unstable, I went
> > ahead and installed it. Now what I want to know is,
> > how do I upgrade to unstable? Is it a matter of adding
> > APT::Default-Release "testing"; to /etc/apt.conf, and
> > adding unstable to the sources.list? Or will I have to
> > add a pin priority? One of the Debian Manuals
> > recommends
> > using dselect instead of APT to upgrade to new
> > releases, is this a better way of doing it? Or should
> > I just do an apt-get dist-upgrade? Any help would be
> > much
> > appreciated. Thanks!
>

> Basically just edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all occurences
> of the word stable with unstable.
>
> Then do apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> That's what I usually do. I feel that this is the best/easiest way to
> get unstable onto my computer.
>
> Bijan

I would also add: Try not to install too many packages from stable,
since many could lead you to broken dependencies, due to absences or so
in the unstable branch. Just have a basic one running, and then, if you
feel lazy, once you have converted to sid, run tasksel. Another thing is
that some times aptitude will show broken dependencies, go then with
dselect, and with apt-get with all its different options. I have noticed
that by cycling through them, you can fix most (if not all) the
dependenciy problems. Good luck.