Re: Back up to ATAPI zip 100

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 15:05, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> I can't answer the specified question, but why do you assume that ssh
> restricts you to cli?
>
> You can use port forwarding (quite easily from putty) to display X apps
> to the users' machine.  Only catch is that they have to have an X server
> installed, but you can get this for free (in both senses) from cygwin.
>
> That being said, depending on your remote users' connections, X might be
> quite laggy.
>
> --
> monique
> Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please
> don't email me directly.  I will most likely see your post before I read
> your mail, anyway.

I'm well aware that I could, if i wanted to install the xbase-clients
package, and then allow X11 forwarding, however that seems to
be...gratiutious, for a webserver.

None of the people that have access to this machine will be using Putty,
as each of us is running either Debian, or FreeBSD, depending on
personal preference.  Being that all of us are more than comfortable
moving around in a shell, I just don't see the need for a graphical
utility.

Under different circumstances, I would completely agree with you, but
especially for the one user on 28.8 dial up, I just don't think that a
graphical program makes sense.

Thanks though.