problem setting up spamassassin

I've been following the discussion of spam flood, and decided to try
using spamassassin. I'm running a plain vanilla Sarge, with dialup. I
use fetchmail, exim, procmail, mutt.  After apt-get install fetchmail
I look at README.Debian for instructions on what to do next. I see
"Please read the README for instructions on setting up your .procmailrc file."
I open up README.gz and search for procmail. The search fails. I read
README.gz and see that I need to look at the INSTALL file for how to
install spamassassin, but there is no INSTALL file.

My question is: Having done apt-get install spamassassin, what do I
do next? Surely I need to read something and do some configuration,
but where are the directions? Where do I go next _within the Debian
environment_?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com