Re: More on spam

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 11:27:04AM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Brian Walker(bfwalker@net-yan.com) is reported to have said:
> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:20:24 +0800, John Hasler wrote:
> >
> > As for getting spamassassin installed, I will fumble a bit in the dark,
> > despite the instructions, and scream for help in a bit. This flood of
> > spam I have recently been getting amounts to 20MB a day. And my ISP could
> > not give a flying fsck.
> >
> > Thanks for the reference Klaus, to spamassassin and Kmail.
> >

> I would suggest installing mailfilter, for a start.  With it you can
> remove the MS junk at the pop server and never download it.  That
> would reduce the majority of the spam.
>
> see the archives an how this is done.  Its fast, and easy.
>
> As an example here is what mailfilter did to spam in the last 4 hours.
>
>     Mail on Server   downloaded
> 8 AM   235            135
> 9 AM    33             18
> 10 AM   49             36
> 11 AM   39             28
>
> My filters did pick up 11 spam messages from what was downloaded.
> Of those spamassassin and other procmail filters caught all but 1
> and sa-learn ahould take care og that one in the future.
>
> :-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

I second this. Deleting swen off the POP3 server has saved me from
downloading over 300MB of crap in 2 weeks. That's a lot of dialup
time. Spam, as opposed to viruses, is downloaded, spambayes catches it
with outstanding reliability, and off it goes to spamcop.

Interestingly, spambayes appears to work on the header data only,
which (a) makes its reliability even more impressive and (b) suggests
the possibility of adapting it to operate like mailfilter, and delete
the spam directly off the POP3 server.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons