Re: Decent browsers for Linux? Anything to replace IE?

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:20:44 +0100,
Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:28:43AM +0100, Joseph Jones
> (joe@bumpycarrot.cjb.net) wrote:
>
> > While I'm a huge Firebird fan, IE was better at some tasks
> > (yes, they are non-standard HTML tasks, but what can you do
> > when that's what the industry uses? *sigh*).
> >
> > I've tried Konqueror and found it lacking extremely (yes, I
> > love it as a file manager when combined with qvwm, but it
> > simply isn't as full-featured as other browsers) and Opera
> > seems worse than Firebird.  So, can anyone suggest a browser
> > that tries to replicate these changes?
>
> You've tried several of the better ones.
>
> Personally, I like Galeon 1.2.5 (*not* to be confused with
> 1.3+), and use it extensively.  Mozilla is another option.

For most of my browsing needs (except when I have to tangle with
some serious javascr*), I use emacs-w3m, an emacs "frontend" for
w3m with some convenience features like google search
<http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/>

> Extensive reviews:
>
>     http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/NixBrowsers

Extensive?  You didn't have a line for edbrowse (apt-get'able!).
It's one of the most unusual browsers I've tried.  And you could
use it without a computer screen.

> Echoing Monique:  what MSIE features do you find lacking?

Let's see, javascript compliance with browsers that insist on
MSIE compliance only.