Re: More on spam

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:46:12PM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:
| As a result of my thread here, I am getting an almost
| endless stream of spam messages, supposedly from
| microsoft.

Welcome to the club.

| Unless I clean out "bulk" and "trash" every
| few hours, they are pushing me beyond my Yahoo
| allowance.

/me thinks you need better service from your provider.  Not that yahoo
is likely to provide it, though.

| The effect is to cut me off from sending
| and receiving messages. Is this happening to everybody
| or have I been singled out because I have posted so
| many message in the last day or so?

You haven't been singled out.  I can assure you of that.

| If the former, at what will it have to conceded that the spammers
| have made this user organization useless?

As I said yesterday and the day before and the day before that, the
only spam I see is in the spam folder except for the occaisonal
"unsure" message.  Oh, and the spam folder only receives about 100 or
so (sometimes less) messages per day.  Let's see, right now it has 24
messages totalling 162K of disk space.  The oldest one arrived at 8pm
last night.  It's almost noon right now, so thats 24 messages in 16
hours.  This is after posting quite often on a number of mailing lists
for a few years.  I'll say it again, the problem is certainly not
crippling, or even damaging, here.

If one more person starts a "what's with the spam?" thread ...
I'll write a canned reply to send with one keypress, which will have
to start with Search The Archives and Search The Web!  This is not a
new topic.  It's been discussed to death and a multitude of solutions
have been presented, each catering to a slightly different environment
and set of operating constraints.

Oh, btw, the list server does quite a bit of identification and
removal of spam before passing messages on.  You don't get much, if
any, spam through the list itself.

-D

--
The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/