Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:05:21PM -0700, Paul Yeatman said
> So, for the sake of clarification as some conflicting statements have
> been made, as long as the FontPath to
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType is given in
> XF86Config-4, the order of the FontPaths doesn't matter, ie. even if
> the path to Type1 fonts is given first, X will put it last it?

Er, I more meant that the default config that *new* installs of X
creates puts the Type1 line at the bottom.  As far as I know, it will
still cause problems if it's not at the bottom.

> Also, Rob's guide assumes that fontconfig is installed.  As I use only
> the stable distribution at the moment, defoma is installed but not
> fontconfig.

I'll update it to mention that you don't need to worry about fontconfig
on stable, thanks.

> The debconf message for defoma told me to put
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType as a FontPath in
> XF86Config-4 but my /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfon t-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/
> directory contains nothing but the file, fonts.dir, at the moment.
> This doesn't seem correct.

Have you installed any truetype font packages from Debian?

> Is this bunk until fontconfig is installed?

No.  If you don't use fontconfig, ignore it completely.  It has no
bearing on your other X fonts.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:  domestic disruption computer terrorism credit card red noise