Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:47:50AM +0800, csj said
> At Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:33:09 +1000,
> Rob Weir wrote:
> >

> [...]
>
> > For GNOME2 and KDE3, you need to setup "fontconfig" which Xft2
> > uses to find fonts.  I'll get to that in a minute.
>
> I didn't have to do anything to get my fonts available to GNOME2
> and KDE3.  I've always been puzzled tho why my GTK1 apps seems to
> have fewer fonts available.
>
> Your detailed tips have me wondering if there's really an
> official(tm) Debian way of managing fonts, something relatively
> easy like "dpkg-reconfigure".

Yes, defoma aka "Debian Font Manager".  When you install a new font, it
handles setting up symlinks and such so that you can just point X at
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType, and leave it alone.
Without defoma, you'd have to point X at wherever fonts installed
themselves, and update the various fonts.* files that live next to the
fonts.

The only really neccessary step seems to be adding that one line to
XF86Config-4.  fontconfig seems to come setup correctly out of the box,
X will put Type1 done the bottom all by itself, and the unscaled thing
doesn't seem to have any effect anymore.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:        Albanian Subversion Australia constitution IMF freedom