Re: [debian-user] International Characters

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 02:05:38PM -0700, Tom wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:40:09PM +0200, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> [snip]
> >          100 DM =  51  ? 13 ¢.
>
> My /etc/environment is now: LANG=en_US, and 'locale' says "en_US" for
> everthing except LC_ALL which is blank.  So things like ½,é,¢ are
> working, but what I guess is the Euro symbol in Rüdiger's signature
> is a ?.  (FYI: If I hit e in mutt in Rüdiger's message, Nano shows "the
> universal currency" symbol.
>
> What's "the next step" to take.

Whoops, I posted too fast: I set my locale to "en_US.UTF-8" and I see
the Euro symbol now.  But now my question is: should I just leave the
locale at this?  Will some text editors start saving in Wide chars now?
Am I going to be missing further functionality?  Or UTF-8 just nirvana?