Re: Does DRI work?

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 00:59, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:44:02 +0200,
> Nicos Gollan <gtdev@spearhead.de> wrote in message
> > Doing this yourself is generally unnecessary.
>
> ..hush, we can use every new developer.  ;-)

Everyone working on and packaging X has my deepest respect if that helps. :-)
However, that doesn't mean that I can recommend it to anyone; it's such a
convoluted thing. Some time back, I was playing with the R200 DRI drivers and
recompiled the whole mess on a regular basis. It was always a tedious
procedure, including removing one line from a Wacom tablet driver that made
the compiler throw up for unknown reasons.

Every once in a while, apt thought it just had to "update" X (from 4.2 to some
early 4.1 at that time), so I had to move the "normal" X directory back, have
apt do its work and then move that chunk out of the way again. No fun, but I
had accelerated 3D.

Just thinking about hacking that monster in different parts like xlibs,
xserver etc. makes me shudder. Is there a "mental state" of the X maintainers
somewhere? :-P

--
Got Backup?