How does Debian cope with overworked mantainers ?

Do not want to start a flame. My gratitude towards the Debian mantainers is
enormous but from times to times you stumble on that particular package you
really need, that is broken, on which bug reports are filed months ago, no
feedback given and when you try to add some more information either get no
feedback or get some nervous reply often stating the problem is upstream (in
last case I checked and it seems to be not true). As a proof this is not a
personal argument no names or hints made here ! 8->>

When all of the above is true is there a way what is the way of the Debian
project to handle these cases (i.e. finding a new mantainer without consent
of the current) ??

Thank you. Bob Alexander