weird ppp problem

Dear list members,

I'm currently experiencing a strange problem when trying to
dial up. Perhaps one of you knows the symptoms and can give
me some clues what to do:

I used to dial up using wvdial, but I've also tried pppd
directly, to make sure that the connection-setup and authentication
phase is working - it is.

But I seem to have a extremely high upstream latency: the
difference between LCP EchoRequest and Reply ranges from 5
to >60 seconds (!!), and my download bandwith won't go any
higher than 3 kBps, no matter how near the data source is located.

I don't think that this is a hardware problem, because connections
made with Windows (running on the same machine) are unaffected.

What do you think of it? As an addition, here's another
strange behaviour (which I haven't validated, but it seems so):
Even sending mail to my local mailserver (i.e. over the lo
interface) seems to hang...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Jan
--
Jan C. Nordholz
Erich-Kästner-Str. 39