Re: Do-all computer?

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 18:20, csj wrote:
> At Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:32:20 -0500,
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Any ATA CD-RW and DVD-RW/-RAM/+RW drive should work just fine
> > with Linux, since they are controlled by the ATAPI driver and
> > useland apps.
>
> CD and DVD writers are a userland problem.  Almost all CD writers
> should work with cdrecord and most probably cdrdao.  It's a
> different thing with DVD-/+R/W, though support is improving to
> "the just screw it in and throw away the (Win) driver CD" stage .

But that's exactly what I did with a ieee1394-attached DVD-RW!

Worked like a charm...

> Until recently, CD/DVD writing was done primarily via IDE SCSI
> emulation, rather than direct ATAPI.
>
> [...]

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Thanks to the good people in Microsoft, a great deal of the data
that flows is dependent on one company. That is not a healthy
ecosystem. The issue is that creativity gets filtered through the
business plan of one company.
Mitchell Baker, "Chief Lizard Wrangler" at Mozilla