Do-all computer?

My current computer is an old Quantex that works very well with
a variety of installed Linux systems (Debian, Progeny, Knoppix, Lycoris, Mandrake, and Libranet) as well as Windows 98SE. The only fault is that it is quite slow compared to the newer computers. So, I would like to know if there are any new off shelf or mail order computers on the market today that will work well with
all Linuxes and Windows.

I don't care whether it is one with a preinstalled MS Windows XP or systemless or a preinstalled Linux, as long as it can be configured with multiple Linux systems and MS Windows XP or 98SE as my old Quantex is.

I'd go for one that I need to assemble myself except that I have no idea how to recognize components that are suitable for Linux, ie, motherboard, modem,.......etc., especially the more recent faster items. Something like 1.5 GHz CPU, 300 MHz FSB + for example:

The criteria is, it should be able to handle multiple Linux installations plus MS Windows without resorting to special
drivers such as needed with winmodems.

Any recommendations---off-the-shelf or mail order, systemless or Linux or Windows installed, or do-it-yourself.

alex