Re: HELP!Problems with 160GB SATA drive

Rob Weir wrote:
I don't think any SATA controllers are supported under 2.4.18 at all.

Yah, you'll need a newer kernel version.  Try looking at
http://people.debian.org/~blade/ for newer boot floppies, or even try
out debian-installer (http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/).  Another
option (which I would probably pick) is to pull the drive and
controller, and put in another working Debian machine.  Install Debian
using the chroot deboostrap method
(http://people.debiab.org/~walters/chroot.html) onto the new disk, and
either build a kernel that supports the the controller or install a new
kernel-image package that supports it natively.  Once it's installed,
move the disk and controller back to the original machne, and boot.

Two other methods to do the bootstrap may be possible that don't need another machine or even opening the box. The first follows from:

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:18:49AM -0400, Sebastian Canagaratna said
> In the BIOS it is configured thus:
> ATA/IDE  Enhalnced (all SATA and PATA resources enabled

Which leads me to suspect that it is possible to instead configure it in 'Legacy' mode so the SATA appears as a PATA. You may then be able to configure the system, put a new kernel on and reset the BIOS to 'Enhanced' (don't forget to change fstab and grub/lilo device names)

The second method is to start from a distribution which already has a recent kernel. This will also cope with any other problems that may arise from recent chipsets (you don't state what it is). I believe the latest Knoppix would work.

Cheers, Dave