Re: Grub, now booting debian from grub

Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

   GRUB  version 0.92  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first
 word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the
possible
   completions of a device/filename. ]

grub> find /boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.20

 (hd1,1)

grub>
grub> find /boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.20

 (hd1,1)

grub>
      find /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7
 (hd1,4)

grub>

grub>
      find /boot/initrd-2.4.18-k7

Error 15: File not found

grub>
      find /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k7
 (hd1,4)

grub>

grub>
      find vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7

Error 15: File not found

grub>
      find /vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7

Error 15: File not found

grub>
      find /initrd-2.4.18-k7

Error 15: File not found

grub>

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Thu Oct  9 22:07:15 2003

gfxmenu (hd0,4)/message
color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8

title linux
    kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7  hdd=ide-scsi vga=791
    initrd (hd0,4)/initrd

title floppy
    root (fd0)
    chainloader +1

title failsafe
    kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda7 ide=nodma apm=off
acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disableapic 3
    initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.shipped

title windows
    root  (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    makeactive

title debian3.0
    root (hd1,4)
    kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7 root=/dev/hdb5 hdd=ide-scsi
vga=791
    initrd (hd1,4)/boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k7

title slackware9.0
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel (hd1,1)/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.20 root=/dev/hdb2 hdd=ide-scsi
vga=791
    initrd (hd1,1)/usr/man/man4/initrd.4.gz

Hi, And thanks for the questions and grub commands. The above setting
now boots debian. Grub needed the correct file and it was
/boot/initrd.img-xxx. I don't get a start up log while debian is booting
and I don't understand that. Slackware doesn't seem to have a initrd. I
did a whereis but only got the /usr/man/man4/initrd.4.gz file which I
tried but loading failed with a kernel panic. As for the floppy entry in
grub it was automatically put in by SuSE's installer. The floppy will
boot any of the 3 linuxes from the grub floppy listing, but it does say
something like entire device is fat.I guess I could take out the
chainloader +1 entry? And windows does boot with the entry I posted
previously and haven't changed. BTW /sbin/grub = no such file or
directory. Thanks again. I'll ask the slack board where slack's initrd is.

> > title floppy
> >     root (fd0)
> >     chainloader +1
>
> This looks like you are telling the grub that the grub boot floppy
> also includes the window bootloader.
>

> > title failsafe
> >     kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda7 ide=nodma apm=off
> > acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disableapic 3
> >     initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.shipped
> >
> > title windows
> >     root  (hd0,0)
> >     chainloader (hd0,0)+1
> >     makeactive
>
> If this doesn't boot windows, try:
> root  (hd0,0)
> makeactive
> chainload +1
>

> > title debian3.0
> >     root (hd1,4)
> >     kernel (hd1,4)/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7 root=/dev/hdb5 hdd=ide-scsi
vga> =791
> >     initrd (hd1,5)/initrd-2.4.18-k7
>                      ^--------------^  should this be
initrd.img-2.4.18-k7?

> 'initrd (hd1,5)' indicates your kernel image is in a different
> partition than it's initrd.img.
>
> Need a little more info. Please open a terminal, su to root, and then
> run /sbin/grub.
>
> grub> find /vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7
> grub> find /initrd-2.4.18-k7
> grub> find /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7
> grub> find /boot/initrd-2.4.18-k7
>
> and post the results back to the list.
>
> --
> Jerome

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls (VoIP), Video Conferencing, Live Chat,
X-Mail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure,
Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, SMTP, POP3, Ad Free
Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
Search http://www.teradex.com