Re: bizzarre X fontspecs from xfstt

From:
David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:21:36 -0400
To:
debian-user@lists.debian.org

David Morse <svref@yahoo.com> writes:

I apt-got xfstt in order to use bitstream-vera-sans-mono in emacs and
xterm, however, now I get strange, broken behavior.  Running
"xlsfonts" gets me, among other things:

-ttf-bitstream-vera-bitstream vera sans
mono-medium-r-normal-roman-0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

This makes no sense for a number of reasons.  Its Family is not "vera"
but "bitstream".  Its weight is not "bold" but "vera".  Its slant is
not "italic" but "bitstream vera sans mono".  What!?

It looks like something tried to put ttf-bitstream-vera as the foundry
field, which is wrong.  (Note that your font spec has 16 fields,
rather than the usual 14.)  Does it work fine without xfstt?

In the sense that vera disappears from the list, yes it works fine.

Modern
XFree86, including what's in woody, can natively handle TrueType fonts
without an external font server.

I'm using the XFree that comes with the gnome-woody-backport. Can I see your FontPaths from /usr/X11/XF86Config-4? Also, I have

"
# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
"

towards the top of that file.  Is this what you have?

FWIW, my Bitstream Vera fonts look more like

-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

which is much closer to what I'd actually expect.  (On sid, without
using any X font server at all.)