Re: bizzarre X fontspecs from xfstt

David Morse <svref@yahoo.com> writes:

> I apt-got xfstt in order to use bitstream-vera-sans-mono in emacs and
> xterm, however, now I get strange, broken behavior.  Running
> "xlsfonts" gets me, among other things:
>
> -ttf-bitstream-vera-bitstream vera sans
> mono-medium-r-normal-roman-0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1
>
> This makes no sense for a number of reasons.  Its Family is not "vera"
> but "bitstream".  Its weight is not "bold" but "vera".  Its slant is
> not "italic" but "bitstream vera sans mono".  What!?

It looks like something tried to put ttf-bitstream-vera as the foundry
field, which is wrong.  (Note that your font spec has 16 fields,
rather than the usual 14.)  Does it work fine without xfstt?  Modern
XFree86, including what's in woody, can natively handle TrueType fonts
without an external font server.

FWIW, my Bitstream Vera fonts look more like

-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

which is much closer to what I'd actually expect.  (On sid, without
using any X font server at all.)

	-- Abra Mitchell