Re: dselect conflicts

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 10:13:51PM +0200, Jon Haugsand wrote:

> My current problem took place when I entered dselect in order to
> REALLY configure my system.  There was a LOT of conflicts.  And I
> couldn't make head or tails out of these things.
>
> Maybe the problems manifasted themselves when I installed a new kernel

Doesn't seem likely to me because the kernel packages don't depend
on much.

> and a new testing version of XFree 3.2.

3.2 isn't _very_ new, is it? Did you install it as a deb package?

> How should I figure out thise things?

I suggest to use aptitude instead. It can e. g. show you what a given package
depends on (press d) and which packages depend on it (r).

After updating the package list, i always put all packages on hold (=) so
that nothing is changed until I want it.

You can also press g once to see what aptitude would do in this situation.
If you agree, press g again, if not, q.

If you still have problems, describe them in more detail.

HTH
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller
Lehrer für Mathematik und Physik