bizzarre X fontspecs from xfstt

I apt-got xfstt in order to use bitstream-vera-sans-mono in emacs and xterm, however, now I get strange, broken behavior. Running "xlsfonts" gets me, among other things:

-ttf-bitstream-vera-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal-roman-0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

This makes no sense for a number of reasons. Its Family is not "vera" but "bitstream". Its weight is not "bold" but "vera". Its slant is not "italic" but "bitstream vera sans mono". What!? Type violations a plenty. Applications like xterm refuse to use this font, typically saying they are "unable to open" it.