Re: Transfer of files from laptop to desktop

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
Two things:
One, ssh adds encryption overhead (I believe), so it will be slower than
a non-encrypted transfer (am I wrong here?)

Absolutely.  My fileserver is a PentiumPro 200 with 128 MB RAM.
scp/sftp file transfers top out at 1.9-2 MB/s

ftp/wget file transfers top out at 7-7.5 MB/s

Two, a friend sucked down a bunch of large files from my machine using
SFTP, then scp, and deemed scp much faster.

I find that hard to believe, since the bottleneck is almost always the
CPU (unless you have a very fast processor and slow drive).  scp and
sftp use the exact same encryption, so I can't see where the difference
would be.  But then, I may not know what I am talking about.

-Roberto